Apple Pie in a Jar is an idea for the record books, but I can’t take the credit for it. I found this blog with all the little pies-in-jars your heart could ever desire.
The concept is simple: bake individual mini-pies in mason jars. Easy to serve, no runny pie juices leaking out upon slicing, and they look cute!
Here’s a simple guide to making Apple Pie in a Jar in your own kitchen:
- Prepare pie dough, chill as required by the recipe (usually 1 hour.)
- Prepare pie filling.
- Roll out pie dough.
- Cut out shapes of dough (see diagram below.)
How you like them apples the illustrations?
- Turn your mason jar upside down and cut out a circle for the bottom of the jar (1).
- Cut out a rectangle of dough long enough to go around the perimeter of the jar (2).
- Use any scraps acquired in the process to fill gaps or holes in the jar.
- Fill the jars with your favorite pie filling. There is no need to bake the dough ahead of time.
- If you plan to top the jars with more pie dough, cut out a circular shape and tamp it down. Another option: prepare a crumb topping!
- Poke a few holes in the top to prevent volcanic eruptions.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, if desired.
- Keep in mind that baking time will vary from a traditional pie. I baked 3 pies-in-jars at 350°F for ~30 minutes.
They came out bubbly and beautiful. We waited just long enough so that the jars weren’t scorching hot, but held them in kitchen towels. (How else could you serve hot jars out of the oven without waiting hours for them to cool? Help!)
Topped with a dollop of whipped cream for good measure. No sharing required with this perfectly individual pies!
I love this idea for parties, because they are easy to make and freeze ahead of time! I think I will be making my pies in jars from now on.
What’s your favorite apple dessert?
GREETINGSWelcome to Blunder Construction! Forecast is yummy with a 90% chance of cats.
Browse for posts by category or search the ever-growing food lists.
EVERYTHING ELSEalmonds apricot artichoke banana barbecue beans beer butterscotch cacao calzone candy caramel cauliflower cheesecake chia chicken chili chinese cinnamon cocktails coffee corn cornbread cranberry croissants date donuts dressing eggrolls fajita falafel french ginger gingerbread granola honey hummus ice cream lemon matzo meatballs mexican mushroom mustard nachos orange pancakes pastry peaches pepper peppermint pickles pot pie quiche quinoa rice salsa sea salt shrimp smoothie soda squash strawberries stuffing sunflower butter sweet potato thai turkey vegan vietnamese wrap zucchini