Jelly recently celebrated his 9th birthday.
This past year was full of grand accomplishments. Some of his most notable ones…
He’s been a busy feline.
I had a hard baking act to follow after last year’s Birthday Cake For Cats post. It is actually the #1 most popular post on my blog to date. I have received so many comments from readers who are spoiling their own cats with birthday cakes, it makes me so happy!
Shawna recently commented that I should use green pea flour in recipes for cats because it is healthier for them than wheat flour. I had never heard of it before, but sure enough, Bob’s Red Mill sells it.
I decided to yield her good advice for this year’s cake.
Chicken and Green Pea Birthday Cake (for Cats)
Prep time: 5 minutes | Bake time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6-12 servings (invite your feline and canine pals!)
- 1/2 cup green pea flour
- 1/2 cup cooked chunk chicken (plus 6 small pieces for cake centers)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbs water
- 1 tbs shredded cheese
- Place 1/2 cup cooked chicken chunks in a food processor and pulse for a minute until fine crumbs are formed.
- Mix together chicken and green pea flour in a medium bowl.
- Stir in beaten egg and water until mixture is smooth.
- Spoon cake batter into a miniature cupcake pan or two-bite brownie pan.
- Push a small piece of chicken into the center of each cake. Spread the batter on top to cover it.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350F, until firm.
- Allow to cool completely.
- You can slice the cake in half to help the cat sink its teeth in. Garnish with a spread of wet food and a piece of shrimp for birthday flair.
We surprised Jelly with his cake while he was soaking up the sun on his cat tree.
He was instantly intrigued.
He hopped down on to the ground to make eating easier, and we watched as he gobbled up the cake and chicken bits like a ravenous lion.
The little piece of chicken hidden on the inside of the cake was a big incentive for him to tear into it.
Judging by the way he licked up all the cake crumbs, I think he liked this recipe a lot.
After he ate half the cake, I took the rest away and so he could digest for awhile. He wound up napping and coming back for the second half an hour later.
GREETINGSWelcome to Blunder Construction! Forecast is yummy with a 90% chance of cats.
Browse for posts by category or search the ever-growing food lists.
EVERYTHING ELSEalmonds apricot artichoke banana barbecue beans beer butterscotch cacao calzone candy caramel cauliflower cheesecake chia chicken chili chinese cinnamon cocktails coffee corn cornbread cranberry croissants date donuts dressing eggrolls fajita falafel french ginger gingerbread granola honey hummus ice cream lemon matzo meatballs mexican mushroom mustard nachos orange pancakes pastry peaches pepper peppermint pickles pot pie quiche quinoa rice salsa sea salt shrimp smoothie soda squash strawberries stuffing sunflower butter sweet potato thai turkey vegan vietnamese wrap zucchini