Sugar, spice, and a nice residual heat. I seasoned up a rich, chocolate cupcake recipe with cajun heat in the form of cayenne and chili pepper. This dessert is guaranteed to turn the heat up on your sweet tooth.
Cajun Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 3/4 c cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 tsp cayenne pepper
- dash of chili powder
- dash of salt
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbs butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, spices, and salt. Set aside.
- Beat together sugar and butter, until light and airy (approximately 2-3 minutes).
- Add in eggs, one and a time, and vanilla. Scrape the sides of the bowl, and mix well.
- Alternate scoops of the dry mixture with drizzles of milk, running the mixer on low and scraping sides as necessary, until batter is smooth.
- Beat for an additional 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of batter until each cupcake tin, yields ~20 cupcakes.
- Bake at 325F for 12-15 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Heat chocolate 1 cup chocolate chips and 2 tbs milk over a double boiler.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Transfer into a pastry bag fitted with a piping tip.
- Allow ganache to cool in fridge for 30-45 minutes, until firm but not solid.
- Decorate cupcakes with fancy swirls of chocolate.
- Garnish with a dusting of cayenne pepper, optional.
Pretty, aren’t they? Spicy, too. I downgraded the cayenne factor in the recipe I’ve shared with you. If you are tentative on adding heat, consider only 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper. I used twice that and now, we are out of milk.
A big honkin’ glass of cold milk is an obvious accompaniment to these cupcakes. I also think the spicy peppers would complement a cup of coffee, maybe an iced one this time of year! Rumor has it that eating spicy foods can help you stay cool on hot days. I’ll let you be the judge of that.
What’s the spiciest thing you’ve ever tasted?
GREETINGSWelcome to Blunder Construction! Forecast is yummy with a 90% chance of cats.
Browse for posts by category or search the ever-growing food lists.
EVERYTHING ELSEalmonds apricot artichoke banana barbecue beans beer butterscotch cacao calzone candy caramel cauliflower cheesecake chia chicken chili chinese cinnamon cocktails coffee corn cornbread cranberry croissants date donuts dressing eggrolls fajita falafel french ginger gingerbread granola honey hummus ice cream lemon matzo meatballs mexican mushroom mustard nachos orange pancakes pastry peaches pepper peppermint pickles pot pie quiche quinoa rice salsa sea salt shrimp smoothie soda squash strawberries stuffing sunflower butter sweet potato thai turkey vegan vietnamese wrap zucchini