My absolute favorite chocolate confections are truffles with thick creamy centers.

If you’ve ever had the chance to try a Godiva pumpkin truffle (a seasonal treat that costs $4/pop), you’ll know exactly where I’m going…

Their pumpkin truffles are to die for, but can I really afford it? No. So, I decided to try my hand at making some at home. I scoured the web for a recipe, finding many that were cocoa-dusted chocolate + pumpkin truffle balls and only one similar to Godiva’s.

Thank you, Man Tested Recipes. Your recipe for Pumpkin Truffles is genius!

I had to modify the recipe to exclude almonds and include ingredients I have on hand. Here is my take on this luscious pumpkin-filled candy.

Chocolate-Coated Pumpkin Truffles

Yield 12 large truffles, 24 miniature | Prep time: 25 minutes | Freezer time: 3+ hours

Ingredients

• 1 1/4 cup crushed graham crackers
  • 1/4 cup crushed sunflower seeds
  • 1/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp allspice
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • dash of nutmeg
  • 1/3 cup + 2 tbs pumpkin puree
  • 2 tbs apple sauce
  • 2 cups chocolate chips or more
  • 1 tsp vegetable oil

+ wooden skewers

Directions

Crush graham crackers in food processor until very fine. Reserve 2 tbs of the crumbs for topping. Transfer crumbs to a large bowl. Process the sunflower seeds until very fine, and combine with graham crumbs. Add in sifted powdered sugar and spices. Stir to combine. Add pumpkin and apple sauce, stirring until the dry mixture is moistened. Use a dough baller to scoop pumpkin mixture and roll into a ball. Depending on the size of your dough baller, the truffles can be 1/2″ to 1″ in diameter. Place truffle balls into the freezer for 2 or more hours, until firm.

Place chocolate chips and vegetable oil into a glass bowl, and set over simmering water on the stove. Melt the chocolate chips, stirring until smooth. Remove bowl from heat. One at a time, skewer a truffle ball from the tray in the freezer, and dip it into the melted chocolate. Coat the truffle completely and allow any excess chocolate to drip off. Dip the chocolate ball into the reserved graham crumbs while the chocolate is still soft. Set the skewer on a rack to harden slightly (check out my snazzy chocolate dipping tip in the photos below!) Repeat with all the remaining truffles. Transfer the finished truffles to the freezer to harden for another hour or more until firm.

Here are the truffle balls right out of the freezer, ready to be dipped. I used the skewer to keep my fingers clean.

The skewers also made it easier for the chocolate to set up without getting all over the cookie racks. I wedged the skewers in between the metal bars of the rack, and the truffles were suspended in air for a few minutes to set up.

When I was ready to move them to the fridge, I just pushed the cookie rack over the edge of the counter, and pulled the skewers out from the bottom of the truffle. Seamless!

This is one of the fanciest things I’ve ever made, second only to the zebra cakes (those were such a labor of love!)

The taste is almost as refined as the Godiva truffle, without the heavy price tag. Next time, I’ll use a smaller scoop for miniature truffles.

And trust me, there will be a next time with these pumpkin truffles.

Tagged with:

19 Responses to Chocolate-Coated Pumpkin Truffles

1. Heather says:

you’ve done it.
    you’ve posted a GREAT looking recipe, with fabulous photos, and EASY instructions. Nothing on the ingredients list is difficult to find in my small village grocery store. None of the steps include tasks as difficult as giving birth or climbing Mt. Everest.

Now, I know what you are thinking, Halley. Generally, your recipes meet these criteria, so what the heck am I getting all ridiculous about?

Well, this recipe includes ONE MORE factoid -

This will be the VERY FIRST RECIPE ever in the history of ALL my blog reading [since 2001, thank you very much] that I plan to make the VERY DAY that it was written and I read it.

Congrats. You win.

Though, let’s just wait and see how badly I mess it up, first. You know I’m pretty clumsy and a tad bit of kitchen-fool at times, right?

• Halley says:

I am SO delighted that you made these and they seem to be a hit with your friends :) I am so honored, and so are my (truffle) balls XO

2. Bridget says:

These came out beautifully!! Also I LOVE your new blog photo in the hard hat!!! How perfect! :) p.s. I have a pink hard hat haha…and no I’ve never brought it to work, ever.

3. Those are beautiful! I’ve always been scared to make truffles because I think they’ll look awful, but yours look great. Thank you so much for sharing and being inspiring!

4. Amazing! I love that graham crackers are in them- they always sneak their way into some of the BEST desserts…

5. Wow these truffles are gorgeous! I love the flavor combo.

6. Redsoxgal5 says:

They look and sound SO yummy!!!

7. Halley says:

thanks all! I am so excited these truffles were accepted to Tastespotting because they are very special! hope you get to try them at home :)

8. Anna says:

Lovely truffles! You got me really excited when you mentioned they are a lot like the Godiva chocolates we all love (but we all think are sooo expensive to indulge on…) Thanks for giving us, chocolate lovers a heavenly treat!

9. Wow – these look perfect! What a great twist on the traditional. The crumb topping looks very artistic! These would be so cute for christmas too! Definitely will have to make them

10. Nicole says:

OH MY GOODNESS YES. AND VEGAN? YOU’RE THE SHIT, HALLEY.

• Halley says:

I was wondering while making this if chocolate is vegan. Only milk chocolate is out of question, right?

• Nicole says:

It depends on the chocolate. A lot of dark chocolate actually contains a tiny bit of milk. If you read the ingredients, it will tell ya, though. Plus a lot of vegan chocolate will especially say “vegan” on it.

11. [...] BALLS Recipe and tips taken from Blunder Construction: 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs 1/4 cup roasted pumpkin seed crumbs 1/2 cup powdered sugar 1 1/4 [...]

12. Peggy says:

oh these look awesome! And definitely cheaper than Godiva =) Don’t think I could share these babies!

13. Wow, these look fantastic. I bet they’re super tasty!

14. [...] Chocolate Truffles from Blunder Construction GA_googleAddAttr("AdOpt", "1"); GA_googleAddAttr("Origin", "other"); [...]

15. Sara says:

I made 5 batches of these last week using fresh pumpkin puree from a baking pumpkin I got at the farmer’s market. I made them for friends, family and my co-workers. They all went CRAZY over them and I mean crazy. These are addictive. Also I made half using white chocolate and they were AMAZING. The white chocolate actually goes better with pumpkin but the regular chocolate is much richer so it just depends on your taste.
    Thanks for posting this! They are so fun to make!