Birthday Cake for Cats

Let’s talk birthday cake for cats.

Food is the focal point of all matters for Jelly, just like his momma. I knew nothing would make this birthday boy happier than getting to eat all the human foods he usually steals off our plates.

I googled ‘birthday cake for cats’ and searched around for a friendly feline cake recipe. What I found was much more than that, I found the sweetest thing I have ever seen. Those cats are so stinkin’ lucky! I actually teared up when I read the post because I am a crazy cat lady I was so happy to finally have my own cat to spoil!

Jelly waited patiently while I baked for him.

You can refer to the original inspiration and recipe for full instructions, here is a quick how-to.

Birthday Cake for Cats

Yield: 2 small cakes | Prep time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

1 egg

1/2 can of tuna

2 tbs flour

2 tbs shredded or grated cheese

defrosted shrimp, to garnish

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350˚F. Break up tuna in a medium bowl. Lightly beat egg in a separate bowl, then combine with tuna. Add in flour and cheese. Stir to combine. Scoop batter into cupcake tin or silicone cups.  Bake for 15 minutes.

Above: before

Below: after

These “cakes” are actually more like muffins. They were pretty dry, so I trimmed the top off a little so that Jelly could tear it up more easily.

I think the shrimp garnish is most essential. It was the first thing he went after.

The presentation on a plate was really just for the blog. I barely got photos of his reaction once I put it down on the table. He kept grabbing it and running off to the corner – as he usually does when he is snatching things from the kitchen. It was funny that the one time he could sit on the table and enjoy it, he wouldn’t.

How will I top this next year?

Update: Check out the birthday cake I made for Jelly’s next birthday – new post from April 2013!

94 Comments

1. This makes me laugh because I totally would make Sasha a birthday cake for dogs! What we do for our pet-children!

2. That is too funny that you made a birthday cake for your cat! What a good mama :). Happy Birthday Jelly!

3. This is the most amazing thing I have ever seen. I am totally making this for my cat! She will DIE! And also love me forever.

4. How much flour and chessee do I need my cat hunters birthday is conning up on September 18th

5. I love this idea. My kitty Merical turns two this November

6. Love this! I just made my cat 2 little cakes for her 17th birthday! Thank you so much

7. Can’t wait to try this recipe. My little kitty’s birthday is next month. He’ll be one year! (: thanks a bunch !

8. This is perfict for my two babies!! i have 2 kittys 1 is bella and the other is matilda and it is bellas birthday in 2 day and she will love it and for matildas birthday im making this again THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

9. i actually replace the shrimp with salmon because my cat like salmon the best but anyway he really liked it

10. Sounds good 4 my cats Christmas dinner. They love tuna

11. Making this currently for my cat, replaced the tuna with red salmon and the Shrimp with some fresh cut basa :3

12. My 2 kittens, Ashes & Bell will be celebrating their first birthday next Saturday. I was looking for a cake to make for them. This looks like something they’ll really like! I can’t wait to see how they react!

13. Do NOT laugh, I am serious: this looks good enough to eat for us humans/ pet lovers !!! Salmon is a great substitute — <3.

14. My granddaughter has been searching the internet for something to make a cake for her cat Bethany, this is just perfect. She already got her a dress and decorations so this will be ideal!

15. I love this recipe and was very surprised when it turned out like real cake!

16. This is a wonderful idea for a Birthday cake for a cat! I would like to suggest using pea flour instead of regular flour since flour is not recommended to be given to cats.. this is a safer alternative and found in lots of cat food that is grain food = safer for your kitty!

• Thanks for the suggestion! Jelly steals whole waffles, cookies, and tortilla chips from us whenever he can get away with it – so I knew he could handle a tablespoon or two of flour in this cake. But, I will look around for pea flour when I make his next cake. I’d like it to be as healthy for him as it will be delicious :)

17. Well i was looking for a cake to make my kitty Beau he just turned a year old on the 1st of march but i bought him a birthday present and a can of fancy feast which i thought of sprinkling dry food on top and making it look like a cake but ah well maybe next birthday

18. Celebrating my Oreo’s Sixteenth birthday today. Cake is still cooling, she already got to try a small bite and loves it! Great idea and execution! My cakes turned out quite chewy so she’s having a ball.

19. Hey! This looks good. (For cats, not me. Haha.) Our brother cats are turning 5 on the 21st of this month and I was looking for something not too much to make. We were planning to do something special as usual. I will be showing my mom to see what she thinks. Thanks.

20. I tried this today for my little one’s 1st birthday. His brother didn’t like it, but he loved it, I just think it was a little filling for him. Next time I’ll use less flower and bake for less time and possibly add kitty wet food gravy to it. I have picky eaters!

21. My cat Patches is turning 8 April 16th and I am going to make this cake for her she loves tuna and shrimp so I am e

22. my kitten is turning 1 may 24th so i wanted to make him a cake really cool idea!

23. Neither of my cats would touch this.

24. Just baked this for Kiki’s first birthday and she loved it! I added a tiny dollop of vanilla ice cream alongside the shrimp garnish. I was a little sad that my local grocer didn’t carry the green pea flour, but Kiki had no complaints :) Thank you for the simple yet delightful recipe!

25. Thank you so much for posting this recipe! Usually the blogging world id full of recipes for dog cookies and treats, but rarely you stumble upon a great recipe to spoil your kittens. Thank you! (Oh, also a huge thank you from Beans and Monkey, my cats)

26. my cats birthday is in 2 days gonna try this

27. My kitty’s first birthday is today and I have been searching everywhere for a good recipe for a cake for her. There are recipes for all kinds of stuff for dogs, but not cats! I am going to substitute the tuna for salmon because she goes nuts for salmon. I’m excited to see how she likes it.

28. My cat Blackberry (yeah I know, it’s not very original but hey I was 9) is turning 9 when I’m turning 18 (we have the same birthday) I really wanted to do something special for him this yet and I think this is perfect! I know he will just love it :D

29. My little two loved it thank you for the recipie it was perfect!!!!!!!!!

30. Ok so lets be real I was looking for about one hour and couldn’t find anything and this happened I love it soo much so creative bendayhoe love his and yes I am serious about his name I didnt name him that so don’t blame me alright!!! have a wonderful!

31. I didn’t have tuna or shrimp plus Junior doesn’t like sea food. I made this with his cat food and he didn’t like it

32. Me and my friend made this for my cats 2 birthday. She’s a little pickey but she loved it thank you so much!

33. This is great for my two nearly 2 year old babies I don’t have to buy too much!!!

34. I am so excited that I found your recipe! I am going to make this for my sweet little boy, Cullen, for his first birthday!! Of course, most of his party guests will be dogs. He is a cat that likes dogs over other cats. He will love this recipe!!!

35. this is the perfect recipe i am so happy i found it because my kitty is turning 1 today.

36. today is my cats birthday she is turning one perfect recipe for her party today

37. My maid is interested in making each of my 8 kitty cats birthday cakes. Do you happen to have a few recipes. By the some of my cats are picky eaters. Snookems- does not eat cat food or sardines. Clanformia- will only eat per-processed non-fat organic food. Shanell- only eats tuna and chicken. Zenfromenor- likes calamari and craw-fish. Blenvolia- will not eat or even be in the same room as it. AsperVanpoof- will only eat craw-fish on Mondays and Fridays any other day he will turn his nose up at the creatures. Vanfogofolan- will not eat anything out of a bowl or off of a plate. Octovanplarfania- loves fruit from Ireland best harvester with every meal. Since my husband died my cats are the only thing i have left. I have dreams about making love to them so if i keep them happy maybe my dream will come true. I am prepared to offer you a lot of money to make my kitty’s happy. I hope 1 million will suffice.

38. So I have a nice old piano that gets absolutely no use- and I’m trying to figure
    out if there is a way to convert it into a
    traditional player piano. I am not interested in those MIDI converter boxes.

I really love the authenticity of the old mechanics.. .
    Any help would be fantastic..

39. Thank you for recipe, I made it today for my Schrödinger, he is one year old and he loved it!

40. Thank you so much for sharing this piece of cuteness, my now 1 year old camilla loved the cake even tho the birthday hat wasn’t her fav. :)

41. I have to cats and I’m making a thanksgiving cake and I think they will love this so much thx! Making it now

42. What Tuna Is That?
    The one that cat eat or the human ones?

43. Aw My Cat Batman Would Love This!!! He Eats Any Thing I Give Him. Ha He’s Turning 1 This Tuesday ^.^
    ~Simba~

44. My cat Eli turned 20 today. Maybe I’ll make this for him next year. This year I gave him an Iams canned food cake, 2 layers high. He loved it.

45. i make a cake for my cats every caturday

46. My baby boy’s 1st birthday is April 27 and I’m thinking about using this recipe. Would you by any chance know how to make icing for a cat cake? I want his birthday to be special as can be. Thanks.

47. My baby, Mew, is turning one and she loooooooves fishies stuff and cheese. xD
    This is perfect for the little butt.
    Thank you for sharing!!<3

48. Dude!! Omg!! My cat totally loved this recipe!! My cat is allergic to shrimp, so i used shredded chicken instead!!

49. My cat was rescued from a ditch at about 3 months old, so I’ve guesstimated his birthday is near the end of April. I might try some lactose-free cream as a topping. :)

50. This is perfect.my little kitty Kevin is turning 3 tomorrow,wow,can’t wait to see her face when she sees this!

51. My cat mittens is turning one on April 30 and this is his cake

52. I will make sure to try this, my cat is 1 today!

53. omg im so excited to try this for my baby!! thanks <3

54. this perfect for my little kitty he be 1 year old on June 26 2014!!!!!!! i can’t wait :)

55. Thank you so much! My kitty, Whitey will be 16 July 18th & I want to make him a Sweet 16 cake! This is a very helpful post!

56. My kitty, Whiskers, is turning 1 tomorrow, and im making this for her!

57. I thought cats couldn’t have any dairy!

58. Ty c: i loved the recipe and also did tommy

59. I ran out of canned tuna. Can canned cat food work? It’s unprocessed.

60. Baking this for my kitty’s first right now. He was loving the activity of mixing up the ingredients and I let him lick the bowl. Can’t wait to see him enjoy the cake too. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

61. My friend’s cat Random is having a birthday tomorrow. I made this awesome cake for him (hope he likes it). And those of you who want to put icing on the cake just get some Greek yogurt add honey and your choice of food coloring (not to much, like less than 10 drops) and if you want to make it stiffer ad flour.

62. Also I put catnip in the cake, and put PURINA Savory Bites on top.

63. Baking as we speak – will report back tomorrow with results!

64. I made this for my cat she just turned 8 and she loved it she.ate the entire thing :D

65. I have 5 cats, three babies and the parents. Paul, Princess and Advy turn 1 year old in a few days and i am going to do this for them, though i am going to see if i can make a frosting as well. I hope they will like it. I spoil my cats worse than anything in the world. Paul expecially seeing as he is my little one and the rest have my sisters and dad, but they all know i am the mama cat including Baby and Nyx. I am alpha and i want to make them happy as can be.

66. it looks amazing- clever ideas! :) my kitten’s birthday today. They are just soo spoiled. I love them sooo much! Got them presents. Just the birthday cakes and they’ll crack a smile! I needed to adjust the amount of ingredients because my kittens friend is a guest. He is a bengal cat. They go on play dates and they love it. LOL! Anyway, he can’t attend the party so we are delivering that cake to him. That is why I had to increase the amounts of ingredients to a correct ratio.

67. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! My furbaby will be turning 16 in September (actually, the day after I turn 40) I can’t wait to test it out in April for our youngest who will be turning 9. Nice to know that there are so many people that have also included their furbabies in their families.

68. Hi

I have a question how many can u make with 1 recipe

69. We inherited our cats and never knew what their actual birthdates were. I got an email from my former vet stating that one of my cat’s has a birthday today. Guess who gets treats! :) I’m pretty sure my boys will love this. I have an 11 year old, an 8 year old (today, apparently), and a 6 year old. Such personalities!

Thanks for the measurements for it all!

• Yea, I don’t really know when Jelly’s birthday is either. I just pretend it’s in April because that’s when his previous owners left him at the shelter! We brought him home in May.

70. my micka is turning 2 tomorrow,i will be making this for my seven cats, and Micka will enjoy i hope…so will the others.
    tysm for helping me with this easy reciepe for my Family members…

71. Happy Birthday Micks…2 years March 22…love you and the other 7 cats…

72. I am making these cupcakes for my son’s birthday. Yes, human son. But not for him. :) We volunteer weekly for the local humane society taking care of their cats. And for his 4th birthday, my son wanted to have a cat party with the cats, and they had to have cupcakes. That’s when I found your recipe! My husband and I have looked ALL over Atlanta to find the green pea flour – NO ONE carries it. Not Sprouts, not Whole Foods, not Trader Joes, no one. And I don’t have time to order it online. SO, I will be making the original version, which I’m sure the cats will like just as much. And we will have to save one for our own Tiny Tim (he’s not Tiny, he actually looks a bit like Jelly), but we adopted him on Christmas Eve. Anyhoodles, if you’d like, I’ll send you some pictures of our cat party. Thanks for the recipe!

• I would love to see pictures, that sounds like such a fun birthday party idea! Your son is lucky to grow up in a family that cares so much about pets. And yes, the green pea flour is probably most easily found online. I have never seen it in stores. Thanks for sharing your story!

73. Love it, and so did my cat! SO doing this again this year for her 2nd birthday- with salmon this time instead of tuna.

Nicest thing about this recipe is, the humans can enjoy it too (and it’s not half bad)!

The only thing missing here is a frosting of some kind.

74. My “babys” birthday is comeiong up and i so have to make this for her i just hope she will like it becuase she is a bit picky but its worth a shot! thanks!

75. i mean my babys birthday is comeing up and i am makeing this fo rher i just hope she will eat it. she is a bit pickie about what she eats. sorry i didnt reread it after i typed =) brain fart =p

76. my cats are pickie too