Let’s talk birthday cake for cats.

Food is the focal point of all matters for Jelly, just like his momma. I knew nothing would make this birthday boy happier than getting to eat all the human foods he usually steals off our plates.

I googled ‘birthday cake for cats’ and searched around for a friendly feline cake recipe. What I found was much more than that, I found the sweetest thing I have ever seen. Those cats are so stinkin’ lucky! I actually teared up when I read the post because I am a crazy cat lady I was so happy to finally have my own cat to spoil!

Jelly waited patiently while I baked for him.

You can refer to the original inspiration and recipe for full instructions, here is a quick how-to.

Birthday Cake for Cats

Yield: 2 small cakes | Prep time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

1 egg

1/2 can of tuna

2 tbs flour

2 tbs shredded or grated cheese

defrosted shrimp, to garnish

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350˚F. Break up tuna in a medium bowl. Lightly beat egg in a separate bowl, then combine with tuna. Add in flour and cheese. Stir to combine. Scoop batter into cupcake tin or silicone cups.  Bake for 15 minutes.

Above: before

Below: after

These “cakes” are actually more like muffins. They were pretty dry, so I trimmed the top off a little so that Jelly could tear it up more easily.

I think the shrimp garnish is most essential. It was the first thing he went after.

The presentation on a plate was really just for the blog. I barely got photos of his reaction once I put it down on the table. He kept grabbing it and running off to the corner – as he usually does when he is snatching things from the kitchen. It was funny that the one time he could sit on the table and enjoy it, he wouldn’t.

How will I top this next year?

Update: Check out the birthday cake I made for Jelly’s next birthday – new post from April 2013!

61 Responses to Birthday Cake for Cats

1. Maureen says:

This makes me laugh because I totally would make Sasha a birthday cake for dogs! What we do for our pet-children!

2. That is too funny that you made a birthday cake for your cat! What a good mama :). Happy Birthday Jelly!

3. [...] but not least, the cat lady in me was kind of obsessed with this Birthday Cake for Cats. Ohhh what we do for our [...]

4. This is the most amazing thing I have ever seen. I am totally making this for my cat! She will DIE! And also love me forever.

5. [...] has an entire page devoted to Jelly (and she loves him so much she recently made him a cat birthday cake, and I’m probably going to copy that recipe), she has probably the best bio I’ve ever [...]

• Hannah says:

My “babys” birthday is comeiong up and i so have to make this for her i just hope she will like it becuase she is a bit picky but its worth a shot! thanks!

• Hannah says:

i mean my babys birthday is comeing up and i am makeing this fo rher i just hope she will eat it. she is a bit pickie about what she eats. sorry i didnt reread it after i typed =) brain fart =p

6. Sherry says:

How much flour and chessee do I need my cat hunters birthday is conning up on September 18th

7. Jinger says:

I love this idea. My kitty Merical turns two this November

8. Julianne says:

Love this! I just made my cat 2 little cakes for her 17th birthday! Thank you so much

9. Kelly says:

Can’t wait to try this recipe. My little kitty’s birthday is next month. He’ll be one year! (: thanks a bunch !

10. Briley Davis says:

This is perfict for my two babies!! i have 2 kittys 1 is bella and the other is matilda and it is bellas birthday in 2 day and she will love it and for matildas birthday im making this again THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

11. kori says:

i actually replace the shrimp with salmon because my cat like salmon the best but anyway he really liked it

12. Amber says:

Sounds good 4 my cats Christmas dinner. They love tuna

13. Mandy Wall says:

Making this currently for my cat, replaced the tuna with red salmon and the Shrimp with some fresh cut basa :3

14. Judy says:

My 2 kittens, Ashes & Bell will be celebrating their first birthday next Saturday. I was looking for a cake to make for them. This looks like something they’ll really like! I can’t wait to see how they react!

15. April says:

Do NOT laugh, I am serious: this looks good enough to eat for us humans/ pet lovers !!! Salmon is a great substitute — <3.

16. Nancy says:

My granddaughter has been searching the internet for something to make a cake for her cat Bethany, this is just perfect. She already got her a dress and decorations so this will be ideal!

17. Cheese says:

I love this recipe and was very surprised when it turned out like real cake!

18. Shawna says:

This is a wonderful idea for a Birthday cake for a cat! I would like to suggest using pea flour instead of regular flour since flour is not recommended to be given to cats.. this is a safer alternative and found in lots of cat food that is grain food = safer for your kitty!

• Halley says:

Thanks for the suggestion! Jelly steals whole waffles, cookies, and tortilla chips from us whenever he can get away with it – so I knew he could handle a tablespoon or two of flour in this cake. But, I will look around for pea flour when I make his next cake. I’d like it to be as healthy for him as it will be delicious :)

19. Brittany Landers says:

Well i was looking for a cake to make my kitty Beau he just turned a year old on the 1st of march but i bought him a birthday present and a can of fancy feast which i thought of sprinkling dry food on top and making it look like a cake but ah well maybe next birthday

20. Ashley says:

Celebrating my Oreo’s Sixteenth birthday today. Cake is still cooling, she already got to try a small bite and loves it! Great idea and execution! My cakes turned out quite chewy so she’s having a ball.

21. Olivia says:

Hey! This looks good. (For cats, not me. Haha.) Our brother cats are turning 5 on the 21st of this month and I was looking for something not too much to make. We were planning to do something special as usual. I will be showing my mom to see what she thinks. Thanks.

22. Mary says:

I tried this today for my little one’s 1st birthday. His brother didn’t like it, but he loved it, I just think it was a little filling for him. Next time I’ll use less flower and bake for less time and possibly add kitty wet food gravy to it. I have picky eaters!

• Halley says:

It is a pretty big serving! They don’t have to eat it all at once, that’s for sure. But birthdays are all about indulgence. I think adding some moisture with wet food would work!

23. Deborah says:

My cat Patches is turning 8 April 16th and I am going to make this cake for her she loves tuna and shrimp so I am e

24. bryce says:

my kitten is turning 1 may 24th so i wanted to make him a cake really cool idea!

25. Melissa says:

Neither of my cats would touch this.

26. Joann says:

Just baked this for Kiki’s first birthday and she loved it! I added a tiny dollop of vanilla ice cream alongside the shrimp garnish. I was a little sad that my local grocer didn’t carry the green pea flour, but Kiki had no complaints :) Thank you for the simple yet delightful recipe!

27. Jenni says:

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! Usually the blogging world id full of recipes for dog cookies and treats, but rarely you stumble upon a great recipe to spoil your kittens. Thank you! (Oh, also a huge thank you from Beans and Monkey, my cats)

28. kevin says:

my cats birthday is in 2 days gonna try this

29. Audrey says:

My kitty’s first birthday is today and I have been searching everywhere for a good recipe for a cake for her. There are recipes for all kinds of stuff for dogs, but not cats! I am going to substitute the tuna for salmon because she goes nuts for salmon. I’m excited to see how she likes it.

30. Sabrina says:

My cat Blackberry (yeah I know, it’s not very original but hey I was 9) is turning 9 when I’m turning 18 (we have the same birthday) I really wanted to do something special for him this yet and I think this is perfect! I know he will just love it :D

31. Eleanor Keepings says:

My little two loved it thank you for the recipie it was perfect!!!!!!!!!

32. megynne says:

Ok so lets be real I was looking for about one hour and couldn’t find anything and this happened I love it soo much so creative bendayhoe love his and yes I am serious about his name I didnt name him that so don’t blame me alright!!! have a wonderful!

33. Jessica says:

I didn’t have tuna or shrimp plus Junior doesn’t like sea food. I made this with his cat food and he didn’t like it

34. Mariah says:

Me and my friend made this for my cats 2 birthday. She’s a little pickey but she loved it thank you so much!

35. Grace says:

This is great for my two nearly 2 year old babies I don’t have to buy too much!!!

36. Grace says:

They love it!

37. Sydney says:

I am so excited that I found your recipe! I am going to make this for my sweet little boy, Cullen, for his first birthday!! Of course, most of his party guests will be dogs. He is a cat that likes dogs over other cats. He will love this recipe!!!

38. Daniela says:

this is the perfect recipe i am so happy i found it because my kitty is turning 1 today.

39. catarina says:

today is my cats birthday she is turning one perfect recipe for her party today

40. Penny Larane Winston says:

My maid is interested in making each of my 8 kitty cats birthday cakes. Do you happen to have a few recipes. By the some of my cats are picky eaters. Snookems- does not eat cat food or sardines. Clanformia- will only eat per-processed non-fat organic food. Shanell- only eats tuna and chicken. Zenfromenor- likes calamari and craw-fish. Blenvolia- will not eat or even be in the same room as it. AsperVanpoof- will only eat craw-fish on Mondays and Fridays any other day he will turn his nose up at the creatures. Vanfogofolan- will not eat anything out of a bowl or off of a plate. Octovanplarfania- loves fruit from Ireland best harvester with every meal. Since my husband died my cats are the only thing i have left. I have dreams about making love to them so if i keep them happy maybe my dream will come true. I am prepared to offer you a lot of money to make my kitty’s happy. I hope 1 million will suffice.

41. So I have a nice old piano that gets absolutely no use- and I’m trying to figure
    out if there is a way to convert it into a
    traditional player piano. I am not interested in those MIDI converter boxes.

I really love the authenticity of the old mechanics.. .
    Any help would be fantastic..

42. Niki says:

Thank you for recipe, I made it today for my Schrödinger, he is one year old and he loved it!

43. kayla says:

Thank you so much for sharing this piece of cuteness, my now 1 year old camilla loved the cake even tho the birthday hat wasn’t her fav. :)

44. Nassia says:

I have to cats and I’m making a thanksgiving cake and I think they will love this so much thx! Making it now

45. Nur Aisha Nami says:

What Tuna Is That?
    The one that cat eat or the human ones?

46. maria says:

Aw My Cat Batman Would Love This!!! He Eats Any Thing I Give Him. Ha He’s Turning 1 This Tuesday ^.^
    ~Simba~

47. Erik says:

My cat Eli turned 20 today. Maybe I’ll make this for him next year. This year I gave him an Iams canned food cake, 2 layers high. He loved it.

48. Megan says:

i make a cake for my cats every caturday